"For he wounds, but he binds up;
he shatters, but his hands heal"
Job 5:18
I'll be honest, I don't really understand the book of Job. I'm reading it now as I am attempting to read through the Bible chronologically and I understand Job's "predicament" (whoa, way to minimalize the loss of his entire family and all that he owned...), but I don't fully understand the stance that his friends take on the situation. What I do know is that Job's friend, Eliphaz, speaks some serious truth about God in chapter five and this particular verse hit so very close to home.
Oddly, I am comforted that the Lord is the one who wounds us and shatters us (or allows us to be wounded and shattered), then He puts us back together again. I think in the past six months, we've lived both sides of this and, quite honestly, I'm thankful for it. Our sufferings haven't been life-endangering and our faith hasn't been persecuted, like so many of our fellow "sent out ones" around the world, even in here in Africa!, but He's brought us low, emotionally and spiritually, and sometimes physically with different illnesses. Then, He binds us up. His hands heal us. He renews our spirits.
We are there now. We are refreshed for the work He has set before us.
We took our first language evaluation a couple of weeks ago and while we met our goals, I was sorely disappointed in my performance, so much so that I cried just about all day. Pitiful, right? Chandler had to talk me down every time the tears started spilling over again. I was a hot mess. But contrary to my usual response to defeat: falling back into the shadows and losing confidence in myself, I knew I had to get out and practice. I was motivated. And my action has not only built great confidence, but has opened doors for me to start relationships with women that I come across on a regular basis, which, in turn, has helped Madagascar feel even more like home.
Just this past weekend, Waverly celebrated her third birthday and, if you've read our sister blog you'll know that I was dreading it a bit. But it turned out to be a truly enjoyable experience with friends here in town and with family via Skype. And honestly, this may sound cheesy, but it was one of those experiences that makes me think, "We can do this. We can live here and thrive, not just survive."
I am confident the future holds more bouts of serious homesickness and general sadness, but I am also confident that there are many joyful moments and many revelations from the Lord that confirm we are where we should be doing the work He has called us to do. And through this time of service in Madagascar, however long it may be, He will wound and shatter, but He will bind up and heal all for His glory. Worth every minute.
No comments:
Post a Comment