When our supervisors invited us to Tulear for a bush trip and ministry, I was hesitant.
Our last trip to Tulear wasn't exactly the best time of our lives and I didn't necessarily want to voluntarily subject myself to another difficult trip. Chandler, on the other hand, had his sights set on that bush trip and, rightfully so, this would be a great learning experience for us both.
So, after our second language evaluation showed that we were ready to graduate language school, we took a week to visit Tulear again. Thankfully, our trip down, besides being pulled over at three different police stops along the way, was extremely uneventful and over the next few days, we learned a lot from our team and had some fun...
 |
| Whenever we mention "going to the bush", we really mean the far out places in the desert of southern Madagascar; "the bush" is just an easier, although fairly inaccurate, description. |
 |
| A few months ago, this lady birthed that baby on the side of the road as some of our teammates were taking her to the hospital. Let's just say, she's a strong woman and our teammates will never be the same. |
 |
| In Madagascar, you must perfect the "Malagasy squat". |
While in the bush, the guys met and storied in three villages where relationships have already been established. They also visited a new village in hopes of establishing a relationship with the people there. In His grace, the Lord had opened the hearts of the people in that village who were eager to have their questions answered and invited them back so that they could learn more.
While in town, I was able to have a similar experience without the terrible roads and night in a bush hotel. At one of the churches in town, some of our team had begun a storying group where they teach the Bible story to the point that those in the group can tell it themselves. Some people in this particular group have now taken it upon themselves to visit a small village about 45 minutes outside of town once a week to tell these Bible stories! I loved being a part of this experience, seeing Malagasy nationals take the Gospel to those around them. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get photos because, quite frankly, I feel a little awkward taking my honking DSLR to these villages to relentlessly snap pictures. It's a good memory, though. I don't think I'll forget it too easily.
We had some fun with the kids too! Two moms and four kids 6 and under...
 |
| Waverly's first time skating |
 |
| The finer points of hopscotch |
And on our last full day in Tulear, we spent a few hours at the beach...
 |
| Happiest kid in the world. |
 |
| Never know who you'll run into just off the Madagascar coast! |
 |
| Manly babysitting |
 |
| It's true: I do love him and his crazy self. |
 |
Daddy love.
|
Well, Tulear, I wouldn't write you an ode, but thou hast redeemed thyself.
No comments:
Post a Comment