My embarrassment and the fact that I am sulfate-free have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but as I was preparing to post, I remembered something I had wanted to post earlier.
Remember this post? I was determined to do some "extreme couponing". This show inspired me to jump on the coupon bandwagon. It's a year later and I am totally jaded. First of all, the coupons totally stink here in Lexington. Secondly, I just don't really have the time to dedicate to effective couponing. When I first got started, I would spend a few hours on Fridays organizing and searching for coupons and the best deals and I'd only save 30-40%. I loved watching Extreme Couponing because it inspired me to work harder, but I also felt a little inadequate. I dedicated a lot of time without a lot of reward. Then, I saw this article and I was, quite frankly, relieved... and disgusted. Relieved because the situations highlighted on the show were totally unrealistic. Without cheating and breaking the law, I would never be able to walk out of a store with hundreds of dollars of merchandise for free. Shew. Burden lifted. My 30-40% savings is still okay. I know others can save more, but 40% savings looks a whole lot better against 50 or 60% than 100% savings. At the same time, I am disgusted. By the companies, by the producers, and by the shoppers. If you read the above linked article, including some of the in-article links, shoppers and store spokespeople have admitted to committing coupon fraud and bending the rules for the sake of "good TV". So, why am I embarrassed? Because I bought it. I totally fell for it and believed that if I wasn't walking out of the store with carts of free groceries, then I was missing the boat completely. Fortunately, I have seen the light and I no longer spend hours on Friday afternoons surrounded by coupon inserts, clipped coupons, and a cloud of frustration and anxiety. Praise the Lord.
I have also seen the light concerning my hair products. Nothing to do with couponing, I know. It's totally fine. Anyway, I now use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner! And you should all be applauding right now, but you're probably not because you have no idea what I am talking about. Let me tell you this, you are, more than likely, using shampoo that contains sulfate (sodium lauryl sulfate or it's cousin, sodium laureth sulfate). Sulfate is the cleaning agent and source of all the lovely suds you get when massaging shampoo into your scalp. The sudsier the better, right? Wrong. This cleaning agent is simultaneously clouding your shower walls with soap grime, thanks to the suds, and stripping your hair of all natural oils. Wanna know why your hair is frizzy? Well, now you do. Without those natural oils, your hair gets really dry and brittle and unhealthy, despite the amount of conditioner to lather on. I have had this problem for quite a long time, now. I have naturally curly hair which thirsts for moisture more than naturally straight hair, and my hair is fairly thin. Long story short: for years I have battled to find the right shampoo and conditioner for me. I have actually been interested in shampoo and conditioner ingredients for a long time; however, it is only recently that I have learned of the common hair-killing factor: sulfates, and what to do about them: get rid of them.
This morning I used my new sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner (Joico Smooth Cure) and already see a difference! My roots are a little heavy today simple because they are not all dried out, but the research I have done tells me that in a few days, my hair will absolutely love me again and I'm ready to put in the effort for lovely, salon-like locks. Get pumped and read this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment